About Me

My photo
I was raised in Southern California by my very hardworking first generation Korean parents. I graduated from University of CA, San Diego in early 2007 and instead of pursuing more education or finding a suitable 9-5 career like my traditional parents raised me to do, I decided my newly found love for snowboarding would direct me to pack up my things and I moved to Breckenridge, Colorado. I snowboarded Colorado for three winters and surf-traveled parts of the world during the off seasons. After those wonderful years, I decided to leave snowboarding and start up a relationship with surfing again but this time in a completely different setting. This is why I'm currently living in Southern Taiwan, surfing everyday and teaching English part time to support my love affair. I love board sports and I love to travel. Life's grand when the two go hand in hand.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

More about Surfing Taiwan

 
    From what I'm hearing this year's typhoon season in Taiwan is off to a really great start.  We've already had three typhoons come close creating some really fun typhoon waves.  The west coast, which is usually as flat as a lake is also starting to get some good swells and it's been fantastic! It's unbelievable how much surf there actually is in Taiwan.  When there's a west swell, beautiful breaks, a lot of them lefts, pop up everywhere and I'm sure a lot of breaks have yet to be discovered. 
   This week we got to surf a different break than our usual Jialeshuei break.  I didn't get any good pictures again (sorry!) but it was really good.  The wind was offshore and there were only six of us in the water.  Not only that but on either side of us, you can see lots of other peaks and a point break on either side lacking even one surfer.  Even driving down to the spot we surfed we saw at least half a dozen good, uncrowded breaks. 
Unfortunately it was overcast so the pictures came out really blurry, or maybe it was my camera. 

Finishing up and going home

   Yesterday a typhoon warning was issued again and the beaches were closed until this afternoon.  The waves were big and beautiful and it was torture to watch these waves and not be able to surf them.  When they opened the beach back up this afternoon the swell had dropped a lot but there were still overhead sets coming through and a strong offshore wind.  It was a lot of fun!  I love the typhoon season!

No comments:

Post a Comment