About Me

My photo
I was raised in Southern California by my very hardworking first generation Korean parents. I graduated from University of CA, San Diego in early 2007 and instead of pursuing more education or finding a suitable 9-5 career like my traditional parents raised me to do, I decided my newly found love for snowboarding would direct me to pack up my things and I moved to Breckenridge, Colorado. I snowboarded Colorado for three winters and surf-traveled parts of the world during the off seasons. After those wonderful years, I decided to leave snowboarding and start up a relationship with surfing again but this time in a completely different setting. This is why I'm currently living in Southern Taiwan, surfing everyday and teaching English part time to support my love affair. I love board sports and I love to travel. Life's grand when the two go hand in hand.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Small But Fun (some surf pictures of Jialeshuei)

  Summer's coming and that means that the winter swell season is over for Jialeshuei.  There's still surf though just small.  When I first arrived here, the beach was always choppy with ugly currents, but the waves were nicely shaped and the size was decent on most days.  Even when the waves were completely blown out, there were waves that could be caught here and there so Chris and I surfed pretty much everyday the last five months that we've been here.  A lot of times we surf twice a day.
   Now that summer's coming that means the swells are getting smaller and smaller.  The beach that I've become familiar with sometimes looks unrecognizable because it's so flat and calm. Even though the waves are small, the good thing is that there's a lot more offshore days like today.
  
   This morning I woke up, clambered up to the third floor to look at the break and knew that it was going to be small.  It was smaller still so I decided to take out a soft top board from the hostel (soft tops are the long foam boards that are great for beginners).  I haven't been on a longer board than my 5'8" fish in quite a while but it was good fun! Amazingly, the whole two hours I was out, I was the only one surfing today...
I can finally post some pictures because Chris decided to take a break since he surfed most of the day yesterday.  He was kind enough to walk down to the beach and take some photos.


Home- the village of Jialasheui... not sure if it's big enough to be called a village.




Too small for a shortboard




That's one of the village dogs, Moka.  That's me in the water, by myself 

There was one other guy on the beach besides Chris 


All in all, it was just another day...

2 comments:

  1. is that you?? you look pro! fun pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anabel! I still owe you a surf lesson I believe. If you're still interested we should make it happen when I get back to Cali...

    ReplyDelete